[Bf-education] Version number

Paolo Ciccone phciccone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 01:38:29 CEST 2010

Yes, as we are getting closer to the release of the next version of Blender
it's vital that we know how to refer to the program. If we create tutorials
that refer to it as "2.5" and it turns out to be 2.6 it will create a lot of
confusion among users. If the situation is reversed then the users will be
really confused as it will seem to them that they have lost one revision.
And we definitely cannot  re-edit video material to replace a version number
after the release.

Clarity of message is, IMHO, as important as the features of the program.
This, I recognize, is a rather difficult point to appreciate in its
importance  but the status of Blender is the demonstration that software is
only as good as its documentation. Blender definitely deserves more
recognition but until we are able to talk to the users in the language that
*they* understand we will have a hard time making it more accessible. If
anybody in this list has a voice with the development team it would be great
to have a definitive answer so that we can start blogging, talking and
preparing for the next version, whatever that will be. There is already a
lot of material on the Net about Blender 2.5. That is what people are
getting used to. If that is not going to be the final version number then
it's important that we start correcting it now.

--
Paolo Ciccone
www.preta3d.com