[Bf-education] 2.5 for Spring 2010? (Edwin Pilobello)

William Meador wsmeador at me.com
Mon Dec 7 18:29:14 CET 2009

I should add that generally none of my students have any 3D experience
prior to my class. I might get one who used a 3D application in high-
school, but I have yet to have anyone come in with any experience or
any bias towards an app.

I had to stop myself several times this semester when comparing 2.5 to
2.49. I had to remind myself that none of my students had the
experience to compare to.

I believe that 2.5 is more accessible to beginners than previous
versions and that was my primary motivation for switching now. I have
a student who had taken the class last year mention that he really
likes 2.5 (he sat in on this semester's class too). He felt like the
UI made more sense and he really liked the new UI design. The
developers and UI designers have worked very hard to group
functionality together or even split it up in the UI to make it easier
and more logical and I think it really shows.

In the Durian website, check the News section for demos and files to
download. Two notable files are the Sintel rig and the Eye and Hair
files. The Eye project file shows a good use of the new Noise modifier
for function curves.

Documentation will start flowing during the spring and using the
software during that time may allow some of us to contribute to the
docs.

Thanks,

Scott