[Bf-education] 2.5 for Spring 2010?

William Meador wsmeador at me.com
Fri Dec 4 19:51:35 CET 2009

I am sure this would make some believe I am crazy, but I just finished
an intro to animation course where I started the semester with 2.5. I
made the decision literally the first day of classes in late August. I
tested the exercises we would do in the first few weeks and was able
to complete them in 2.5 so I went with it.

I build Blender 2.5 every other day on average and post it to our
Intranet so students have access to it in our lab. We usually took the
first 5 or so minutes each week to cover changes in the software from
the previous week.

I am teaching the course again beginning in January and am happy to
run it with 2.5. If it was an advanced course then I would not have
used it this fall, but I am happy with its capabilities now and would
choose it for the spring.

The only real problems I ran into was that I had two freelance
projects that were steeped in 2.49 capabilities throughout the
semester so all of my work off-campus was in 2.49 and my work with my
students was in 2.5. I am looking forward to all new projects since I
will use 2.5 from now on unless I need a legacy script or something
that has not been implemented.

2.5 has great working animation tools now. I am sure it really boils
down to what level of course you are teaching and whether the tools
are all there to be successful.

BTW, since the Durian project is showcasing 2.5 capabilities it has
already been an exciting aspect of my class to show the new tools and
projects and have the students download blends and try them out for
themselves.

Thanks,

Scott Meador