[Bf-education] Non-instructor certification

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 23:19:43 CEST 2008

Hi,

In my opinion, the priority now is to make sure that the instructor
certification that the BF does offer continues to become more and more
meaningful. Simply giving out more certificates willy-nilly would
probably detract from the meaning of the certification. We have no
standards to judge artists by but totally arbitrary ones now; a test
or an actual consistent course would be needed to make the certificate
meaningful, and that takes a lot of time and effort to develop.

> The thing is that if I apply for a job as CG artist for an ad agency
> or as 3D artist/Animator for game industry and I have Blender as my
> primary tool in my resume, potential employer will not even look at me
> as prospective employee regardless of what my skills are.

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration, but if you feel strongly
that some firm credentials are needed on your resume, why don't you
consider applying for the certificate that already exists? If you are
a certified Blender trainer surely that counts for something. You must
put together a package of training materials that demonstrates that
you have skills in Blender and can teach them to others. There's
nothing that says artists and ordinary users of Blender can't apply to
be certified trainers.