[Bf-education] Organizing a workshop

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:15:00 CET 2008

Hi,

>Can anyone give me a hint on how to organize introductory workshop for
>Blender in US? (who to contact to find a place with at least one PC, how to
>let people in local community know about it and what to say during that
>workshop)

You might ask at a local public library about a place and a little
publicity.

As for what to say, I recently did a 2 and a half hour workshop here in
Tokyo for beginners. I spend the first 20 minutes or so showing work from
the Blender.org gallery and some freely available animations, and I walked
through the .blend of Sam Brubaker's "Infinitum" animation (that can be
downloaded here).

http://www.blendernation.com/2007/07/16/infinitum-released-under-cc-license/

That is a *great* example for giving people a complete overview of a simple
but very nice animated short.  After that, I spent about an hour modeling a
simple chess pawn, and another hour setting up a walk cycle with a fully
rigged, ready made character that I passed out to everybody in advance (I
used Calvin's Hamster character, but there are many other good ones).

Since it was just a one-off workshop I wanted to cover as much as I could in
a simple way. I also handed out CDs which had the
BlenderUnderground.comtutorials on them.