[Bf-education] Migrating from 3D Studio Max to Blender, at what cost?

darthmikael darthmikael at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 03:22:08 CEST 2008

I'm answering your first question.
I have used 3D studio since release 4 in MSDOS until the last release. So I
have like 13 or 14 years using 3D Studio.
Blender always caught my attention because it's a very powerful modeling
program but I never used until Autodesk had several internal changes that
lead me to search another 3d application
*I learned Blender in a week*. Blender is now into my workflow and i'm very
satisfied because it have a lots of tutorials and the book for introduction
to blender helped a lot.
Surely all my background doing 3D animation helped, but blender was very
easy to learn
Still i need some help and references, but by now I have a pair of months
using blender and all my work can be done even in windows or linux. (in
fact, blender run better in linux 64 than Vista64, like 20-30% faster in the
simulation and render)
The only thing we "need" is mental ray, but we can work with yafray anyway.
I encorage you to start using blender, you won't regret
Hope this helps!

Miguel Salinas
www.filmsfx.net
darthmikael at gmail.com