[Bf-education] Video Training Helps Most, I Think

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed May 17 13:08:40 CEST 2006

Hi Greg,

I fully agree that Video Training is important as well. I've discussed
this with the proposed "summer of docs" mentor, and we decided to not
include this in the project. It's mostly because of giving this
summer-docs concept a bit of a focus.

For training videos I wanted to start another project, not sure yet how
to organize it... I also think this would make a great e-shop product
(training vids can easily make up gigs of data, including .blend
samples) but that should also require a good format and especially
should involve a quality standard.

I've checked three of your vids, and I like the format (with overlay
text denoting hotkeys). Some of the .swf files seem to be too large
though (BlenderHeadSneeze4.swf is 7.5 MB and only lasts few seconds).
Probably a glitch in the encoding?

There's also the need to have training videos of top artists. No
offense meant for your work - but I've seen a couple of talents work in
Amsterdam the past period, and it's a joy and truly amazing to witness
that. Definitely worth recordig as well.

> Also, what would be the possibility of offering "extended" versions of
> the video training modules created for the "Summer of Documentation"
> project for private sale and promotion by me?  I've paid plenty of
> Blender dues already.

Well, this is something I can't encourage people enough for. Setting up
a good training business is really one of the obvious market
opportunities with Blender.

> If what I have mentioned is of any interest to you, (Ton), especially
> with regard to landing some of that grant money, I am at your service

I'm very much tempted... especially if we can host a good series of
training vids ourselves, which can become a DVD for the e-shop too.
However, there's a couple of more people who would love to work on such
an opportunity as well. Let me check if we can just launch another
'summer' project, or a 'fall' project... :)

-Ton-