[Bf-education] Re: Re: Standard course material for blender

Glen Moyes metsys at icubenetwork.com
Wed Apr 12 16:32:06 CEST 2006

Luis Belerique wrote:
> For example, a person can learn how to use an armature with a couple of
> bones and a cylinder, and in an advanced course, pushing it by making a
> rigged character...

Students are fairly capable of rigging a full character so long as there
are no fingers or toes or anything crazy like that. A simple rig with 2
arm, 2 legs, a head, and body is fine, and the new rigging system is
easy enough to use that newbies can do it. From envelopes to weight
painting, it's pretty easy. The advanced part would be to use IPO
drivers and other crazy stuff and theory to get the joints to deform
right so that you get correct muscle movement and such, as well as
constraints, really psycho IK setups (you've seen 'em).
> Just a question, Glen, how long is your workshop in Blender?

8 weeks, 3 hours a week, so 24 hours a semester. However, I found that I
had more students stay in the workshop when I dropped the time down to 2
hours a week, so now it's 16 hours. It was an experiment, but it turned
out to be very successful. It was easier for them to endure a 2 hour
class. And as you can imagine, I have out-of-class reading and exercises
to make up for the time lost. I am planning on extending it to 10 weeks
though, but still keeping the 2 hour block. A 40+ hour course would be
really nice though. With that much time, I'd say take it as slow as you
need to. You might spend the first 15 hours of instruction on modeling,
but that's okay. Just teach until they get it, and then move on.
However, make sure you get as much time as you can to teach animation.
Good modelers and good animators; that's all you need to tell a good story.

You should spend 3-4 hours on materials and texturing though, but for
beginners I don't think it's that important, because I don't think you
can teach them how to paint textures effectively until they've taken art
classes and know how to paint using Photoshop/GIMP.

And teach them how to learn outside of the class. Email them with
reading materials. Let those that are committed really sink into the
material while they are out of the workshop.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think you can ever have a
workshop that is long enough. I'm only teaching modeling and animation
for this workshop, both of which I consider beginner courses because of
time constraints, but you'd be surprised how much more they'll learn if
they are studying outside of the workshop.

- Glen Moyes