[Bf-education] Re: Standard course material for blender

Luis Belerique luis.belerique at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 11:13:31 CEST 2006

Hi everybody,

Glen, your proposal for remaking the Blender manual is great, a nice way to
keep it all clean.
I like specially the idea of a "Theory and Concepts" volume, it would be
awesome because it´s beyond a specific software, and i also think this would
atract even more people to Blender, once they figured the "why" and would
step in for the "how to do it" in Blender.

I was thinking how to translate these ideas to a standard course in Blender:
in each section there would be a theory section (linking to the apropriate
chapter in the apropriate volume) and a practice section (having several
exercises/tutorials or linking to relevant pages in the wiki).

About your ideas concerning the level of the course, in part i agree with
you, it´s better to teach them in detail the most important tools.
But the course i´m going to teach is 45 hours long and for this first course
in particular i can´t change the number of hours, and my idea was to
introduce people to Blender, making them used to the interface and learning
the most important features, and then, in a second level course go deeper in
detail with more demanding exercises.

For example, a person can learn how to use an armature with a couple of
bones and a cylinder, and in an advanced course, pushing it by making a
rigged character...

I can be wrong, after all i never taught Blender, that´s why your experience
is very important for me ;).
But you gave me some ideas, for example, teaching about lighting before
materials or focusing some more in modelling and less in the "special"
functions like softbodies or particles...

Just a question, Glen, how long is your workshop in Blender?

Thanks for the input!

Luís Belerique