[Bf-education] Re: Standard course material for blender

Glen Moyes metsys at icubenetwork.com
Tue Apr 11 21:35:39 CEST 2006

I've thought a lot about how we can better teach users how to use
Blender and instructors on how to teach, and not have to rewrite
everything when a new feature comes out. For those that are new, you
might want to look at my proposal for restructuring the documentation:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Metsys/Reconstructing_the_Blender_Manual

In short, we add a Theory volume; a page that describes that chapter in
the users manual in plain English so they understand the concept behind
a feature in Blender before they are taught how to do it in the software
(the Manual volume).

I've been teaching Blender workshops to college students for almost a
year now, and I've found that it is best to spend an hour or so teaching
the concepts first, and then teach how to do it in the software. They
need to understand why they are doing something a certain way. Right now
the documentation is just "how to do something in the software" and not
so much the theory behind modeling (sketching, preparation, topology,
edge loops, etc.). So if we simply add a link to a "theory and concepts"
page for each chapter, then users can learn better, and teachers can use
that information to teach. If we want to add another volume in a chapter
for instructions on how instructors should teach a subject, like
information on what methods you should use, and what concepts most
students have troubles with, then we can add that.

The idea is to make a universal manual with enough information for
people completely new to 3D, existing users, power users, and
instructors to get the information they want. All the pages will be in
there, but depending on the purpose of your visit to the Blender Wiki,
when you go through a chapter, you just don't read the other pages that
are linked to if you are not interested in it. A power user will just
read the Manual volume on a chapter, just to refresh their memory. A new
user will read the Theory and Manual volumes, and possibly the Text
Tutorial and Video Tutorial volumes if it still doesn't sink in.
Instructors will read the Teaching, Theory and Manual volumes. So, users
decide what sections they need to read. That way if a feature changes,
you only rewrite the Manual volume, because none of the other volumes
(Teaching, Theory) will have information on how a function works.

I hope that makes sense. I'll probably do a full write up with pictures
and stuff to better get the point across, but this is a solution to the
problem, and won't require anyone to complete rewrite anything, just add
a link to the other volumes that talk about that same chapter.

As far as the "level of the course," as in beginner or advanced, I don't
really think there should be a difference in the way you teach a
subject, or how much detail you get into. If you are going to teach
modeling, teach them all the modeling tools. The difference between a
beginner and advanced modeler is in how well they understand good
topology. But I would consider some things to be advanced features, like
particle effects, soft bodies, fluid simulation, etc. That is why I
don't teach those kinds of features in my workshops anymore. I'll teach
them modeling until they know everything that a pro Blender user would
know about the software, and then move on. Take it slow and steady. I
wouldn't just go over basics of modeling, then just go over basics of
animation, and then just go over basics of ... and then go back to
teaching modeling again to fill in all the things you missed that are
essential to know if someone wants to be a good modeler.

- Glen Moyes