[Bf-education] Re: [Bf-docboard] Blender education materials & style consistency

Ewout chocolade at extrapuur.nl
Mon Oct 24 17:10:21 CEST 2005

(follow-up to bf-education added)

Hello Tom,
First off a few notes on your studies. I really think the migration
guides could be helpful, although in my opinion they should be secondary
to the main manual(s).
A good way to serve the target markets you describe is to have seperate
manuals, each covering a specific area; something that has been
suggested before. That way, the 2d artists for example can skip the
animation book and buy the 'advanced rendering' book instead.

I really think quick a start material is essential to keep the attention
of first time users by 'instant satisfaction'. It doesn't have to take
many clicks to render out something very appealing (to first time users
at least), but I believe that it can contribute a lot to the interest
that people will have in the material. Sort of creating the 'wow' effect.

A completely different area that has not been discussed at all, although
of great importance I think, is consistency in style! I think since
blender left NaN, blenders visual identity has been degrading slowly.
To illustrate: if you do a google image seach on 'blender logo', you
will find that the first *official* logo is result number 141 (which
probably changes from server to server, but the number is a good
indication). Most of the other results are actually blender logos
aswell, but homebrewn 3D versions. Even the KDE blender icon is
unofficial (3d-ish, see
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Blender.png).

With an ever growing amount of communication, it would be a good idea to
  have a good, consistent visual identity. Most of the elements already
exist, the problem that people cannot read about it and don't have a
place to download style elements. A simple 'press/download' page on b.o
is probably a good start, which I'm working on right now.
Joeri Kassenaar has compiled a nice history of the Blender logo -
http://mopi.nl/blogo/. He also gives examples of good&bad logo usage. As
you will see even the BF doesn't completely follow the rules.

I volunteer to make an overview of current style elements, and combine
them into a styleguide. I would also like to help with 'proofviewing' -
as in making sure all the communications obey the styleguide rules. Any
suggestions/remarks?

Ewout (Inktvlek) Fernhout