[Bf-education] Re: Vol 9, Issue 1,precise explanation

Matt Koski maccam912 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 00:51:17 CET 2005

Thanks for the fast reply! I, being around that age, would love to
have a book like this. Even though it would be almost impossible for
someone to make a whole Toy Story movie by themselves, the idea that
it is possible, if even remotely, is something that gets someone
thinking. I like the idea about the general vocabulary because someone
who is new would be intimidated by the word UV Map and would like
words like "Put a texture and color on" better. I have the Blender 2.3
guide sitting on me desk, and a random page turns up:

THE OFFICIAL
BLENDER 2.3 GUIDE
PAGE 360
FIRST COUPLE SENTENCES OF SECOND PARAGRAPH
Animate the Alpha value of the Halo particles from 1.0 to 0.0 at the
first 100 frames. This will be mapped to the life-time of the
particles, as is usual.

Of course most people would read the beginning and learn 3D terms
first, but in a book that would have something like:

Animate the see-through value of the Halo particles from Opaque to
transparent at the first 100 frames. This will be attached to the time
the particle shows, as is usual. This can be done in Blender by...
etc. etc.

This would be much more user friendly, because it would then give step
by step instructions on how to do this, after it first explains what
exactly you are doing instead of just how to do it.

Now, for the part about what I would like to see in a book like this.

I would like to see the animation in 30 + 30 minutes like in the
Blender guide, but also more step by step instructions. I don't think
it would be necessary to put a section in with  advanced uses, because
if you are already proficient in Blender you probably wouldn't buy a
book like the one you describe. On the other hand, it might be a good
idea because without a section like that the book would be dead and
collecting dust because you would have mastered everything in the book
already. It is up to you to decide.

Then you asked if it was a good book at all.

I think it would be a GREAT book. It definately would have helped me
out when I was learning Blender. It would also be a good way of
getting the word out about Blender, and Blender may pick up some more
future coders, making it even better! I say GO FOR IT. Let me know if
you have any more questions, because I'd always be happy to help out
with this idea.
On 11/17/05, Carstentigges at aol.com <Carstentigges at aol.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>  to maccam912!:You are right. I wrote the last e-mail very fast - maybe too
> fast.
>  I'm not a nativew speaker. OK! Next try:
>  I'm writing some sample chapters of a book for newbies. They have seen
> something like "Toy story" and want to know more about CGI. They are about
> thirteen years old and want some orientation about this topic.
>  The whole book should be general in relation to vocabulary, power of
> observation and basics like coordinate systems and so on.
>  The whole book should be related to Blender to give the reader the
> possibility of experiments with a free tool - so it becomes not to
> theoretically.
>  What would you like to see in a book like that? Is it a good idea at all?
>
>  Best regards
>
>                          Carsten Tigges

Too bad life doesn't come with a CTRL+Z.