[Bf-education] tutorials for education

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Mar 12 15:08:46 CET 2005

Hi Jim,

On 11 Mar, 2005, at 19:14, Jim Hoffman wrote:

> I do not want to re-invent the wheel and what I would like to do is
> place a copy of each of the tutorials that we use on my web site -
> giving all and appropriate recognition to the author.
>
>  I want to do this because I am always afraid that at some time some
> of this valuable information will one day disappear.
>
>  Can I have permission to do this?

You have to a be a bit more specific on which tutorials you talk about.
All the old tutorials from the blender.nl days (like on
download.blender.org), and the tutorials as included (not linked to!)
on www.blender3d.org are free to be copied, translated and distributed.
Although it isn't clearly stated everywhere, we apply the OpenContent
license for it, which you can find here;
http://download.blender.org/documentation/NaN_docs/license.txt

It's like GPL, but with a restriction about (abusive) crediting people.

>  We are the only high school in Saskatoon, Sask. that has this
>  program
> .  We have alot of student interest and I really want this
>  program to grow.

Yes, you're very welcome of course! I know many highs schools world
wide have already been using Blender in classes. We hope this mailing
list will with exchanging information on it, resulting in a good
section on our website with educational material, for example.

>  I am on the same learning curve as my students.  I have taught math
>  for 30 years and I have such a strong belied in our animation
>  programs that i have spent the last two years focusing all my
>  professional development in that area.

Cool, I wished I had computer animation as example when I did math on
highschool, would have understood the fun & use of it much earlier! :)
Probably using Python scripts, for simple math controlled animations,
is a good idea as well. I've seen things like the famous 'swarm'
screensaver being coded in Blender for 3d objects.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org