[Bf-docboard] Fwd: Collaboration with Exelearning

Tobias Heinke heinke.tobias at t-online.de
Wed Dec 12 01:36:36 CET 2018

Hi Ms. López and Mr. Sánchez.

I explored some options for advanced editing of the manual in late 2007.
The aim was to bring back online editing  like the Wiki offered.

I found two options: Jupyter <http://jupyter.org/> and Gitlab
<https://about.gitlab.com/>.

Advantages: easy setup (only login), no disk space (user), no markup
(Jupyter)

Disadvantaged: more complex maintenance

So my question is is Exelearning online? As far as I can tell from the
roadmap that is planned for 3.0.

So currently it's a local server (like Instant-rst
<https://pypi.org/project/instant-rst/>)?

The migration from the Wiki to Sphinx
<http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/index.html> toke us three years
(2014-17, parallel to editing). A lot of effort went into that and not
into improving the content itself.

Blender 2.8 is a huge pile of work and the project has too few contributors.

So it has to be reliable for a long time.

So Exelearning offers (I might be wrong)

Advantages: WYSIWYG editing/no markup, file management, easier setup

Disadvantaged:

     more complex maintenance, fragile WYSIWYG editing, custom file formats,

     uncertain software support (main, components, small user base?),
work like styling has to be redone,

     our custom scripts need to be adapted

And then further questions like how will the reviewing/translation work?

If it is/becomes online then I see it as viable option.

Best regards,

Tobias