[Bf-docboard] Overviews

Aaron Carlisle carlisle.b3d at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 19:31:09 CET 2017

No, I would rather keep things simple and don't think these are needed.
We already have a good index structure which serves the same purpose.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Tobias Heinke <heinke.tobias at t-online.de>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I removed the overviews from the manual  (rBM3885 - rBM3900).
> These are links, commonly on intro pages, to the subsections of the
> chapter and a brief ~2 sentence summary.
> (last remaining: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/editors/3dview/
> object/types.html).
> I guess these where originally created because the wiki has no TOCs, so
> pages had to be linked manually.
>
> The reason for removing them was:
> Duplicated content: every page should start with a summary anyway, so
> merging these together could raise the quality.
> Additional work to keep them up-to-date: which was confirmed by missing
> summaries or even whole items.
>
> The question is if we should add them back in, but this time automatically
> generating them with a script.
> Almost all it would take it to do is copy the first sentences of a page.
> This can be achieved in different ways:
>
> 1. The build-in include:
> Would need either to be line based or with comment marks (.. copy from
> here). I didn't actually tried it.
> con: marks in the text or breaks easily, without a way to check it
> pro: full-automatic
>
> 2. Custom extension: nope
>
> 3. A custom script:
> I think the most intuitive way is to select per sentence.
> con: "e.g. " or any other dot space could breaks it. semi-automatic
> pro: easy to check (diff), line wraps
>
> I quickly created a proof of concept.
> The overview on the intro page (physics in this case) would be generated
> based on a pseudo directive:
>
>     .. overview
>        particles/introduction: 2
>        collision: 0
>        fluid/introduction: 2
>        soft_body/introduction: 1
>
> It is composed out of the relative path and the number of sentences to
> copy. It is stored on the page as a comment for future generations :)
>
> Here is the current raw output of the script:
>
> particles
> Particles are lots of items emitted from mesh objects, typically in the
> thousands. Each particle can be a point of light or a mesh, and be joined
> or dynamic.
> collision
>
> fluid
> Fluid physics are used to simulate physical properties of liquids
> especially water. While creating a scene in Blender, certain objects can be
> marked to participate in the fluid simulation.
>
> soft body
> A Soft Body in general, is a simulation of a soft or rigid deformable
> object.
>
> >The output could then be appended formatted as normal RST syntax.
> The directive can be compared with index's toc to detect modifications.
>
> Regards,
> Tobias

Aaron Carlisle

Picture taker | Bit cruncher | Pixel pusher | Document writer | Artist
Project administrator for the Blender 3D Documentation Project