[Bf-docboard] Propsal: fundamentals, citation

Tobias Heinke heinke.tobias at t-online.de
Wed Jun 29 13:48:43 CEST 2016

Hello Campbell,

Fundamentals is not out of scope - because I've added few new terms and
these are even in scope of the glossary. as it is now.

Terms could easily added in a centralized - it just delays the clean up
to later. Terms are not added often.
     No one added a term in probably more than six years (excluding my 2
terms).

It has not to be maintained - all the terms I replaced were already
wrong, when they have been added years ago.

https://www.blender.org/manual/glossary/index.html#term-refraction
     (the speed of light is absolutely constant)

Blender is not a small software program with a bunch of internal name
terms, where a central glossary might be sufficient,
but not for a complex software suite.

Contra central glossary:

Difficult (impossible) to clean up:

- Finding terms that shouldn't be in the glossary.
- Assimilation of the classification of terms.

https://www.blender.org/manual/glossary/index.html#term-anti-aliasing

A part of the definition is already taken up by the classification:

https://www.blender.org/manual/glossary/index.html#term-environment-map

A lot of links are needed and the terms are not comparable, because they
are scattered:

https://www.blender.org/manual/glossary/index.html#term-topology
https://www.blender.org/manual/glossary/index.html#term-straight-alpha

Extended content looks bad:

https://www.blender.org/manual/glossary/index.html#term-non-manifold
https://www.blender.org/manual/glossary/index.html#term-color-space

Extended content like images is impossible.

It's not readable top to bottom.

We could also have both:
The old terms sorted in.
The newly created ones in a glossary called "new".
(like the unsorted bookmarks in a browser)

So I'm asking for a test run. It's easy revertible.

Tobias