[Bf-docboard] Other projects wiki/sphinx migration

marco ardito ardito at apiform.to.it
Fri Feb 26 12:57:28 CET 2016

Il 19/02/2016 19:10, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Recently I found this article about 2 other projects migrating from a
> Wiki to Sphinx [0] for very similar reasons to us.
>
> These are quite technical projects, and some of the pain-points we ran
> into (build times and having to write our own tools in some cases)
> aren't mentioned.
> Nevertheless, interesting to see how other projects handle this.
>
> [0]: https://opensource.com/business/16/1/scale-14x-interview-dru-lavigne

Interesting read, thanks.

btw, I follow other (unrelated) FOSS projects, and some of them have
very good documentation systems, imho.

One of this is Teiid, a Jboss  data virtualization system: until now,
they used only Confluence/Jira, which is very good and has free licenses
for FOSS projects, but may be it is not ideal to them, for some reason:
recently they are moving docs, for newer releases, to other systems, but
they chose gitbook instead

see https://www.gitbook.com/book/teiid/documents/details or also
https://teiid.gitbooks.io
also https://www.gitbook.com/about

which also has pdf, epub, mobi export... which is nice, and it could
allow an easier contribution model, maybe (I'm just guessing)

Could it be suitable and/or worth considering for Blender Docs?

--
*Marco*

[Ai sensi e per  gli  effetti della Legge sulla tutela della privacy
(L. 196/2003), questa  mail  è destinata unicamente alle persone sopra
indicate e le informazioni in essa contenute sono da considerarsi
strettamente riservate. E' proibito leggere, copiare, usare o
diffondere il contenuto della presente mail senza autorizzazione.
Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, siete pregati di
rispedire la stessa al mittente. Grazie]