[Bf-docboard] Getting involved and workflow questions

Dr. Andreas Linhardt ALinhardt at t-online.de
Wed Mar 25 20:43:57 CET 2015

Hello everybody,

I'm admiring Helmar's and other's willingness to contribute on the
Blender documentation project in its current form. In the past, I used
to translate some parts of the previous wiki into German and in doing
so, I made some minor corrections in the English original, if necessary.
But after the change of conception, I'm just completely confused where
and how to start. I've read, however, the "About this manual" chapter
several times, but it left just question marks in my head than it was
enlighting or even encouraging.

Though I have been a professional technical writer and illustrator since
many years, this new concept seems to aim preferably on programmers who
are willing and able to document (the two or three worldwide who like
such tedious work besides their coding...). The documentation how to
document is intimidating for everybody who is not an expert in your now
chosen tool/system. In short: In my humble opinion, it is no fun to
contribute for me under these conditions anymore. Barrier-free
documentation (also and especially from the author's persepctive) is
something completely different. I'm really sorry to say that, because
Blender actually needs urgently a comprehensive and competent user
manual and the contribution of a hopefully large number of documentarists.

I thus see a strong need to revise your conception of documentation once
again in order to convince more competent explainers to help you and the
whole community. Keep in mind that not every Blender user and explainer
is simultaneously a software nerd.

Nonetheless: Good luck!