[Bf-docboard] Manual scope

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 02:43:43 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:04 AM, Pep Ribal <pepribal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I completely understand your point. There are 2 possible approaches:
>
> 1. Hey, let's do this. Whoever can do anything, just go for it.
> 2. Let's apply Project Management techniques to get it done.
>
> Option 1 is what it has been around for years and years.
>
> Option 2 is all about breaking down the job into tasks and assign deadlines
> to those. If you have the necessary degree of commitment, perhaps you won't
> meet the deadline, but you'll end up doing the task. If you don't have a
> deadline and don't have that degree of commitment, you will do the task
> tomorrow. And tomorrow never comes. So it's not about deadlines. It's about
> commitment.
>
> And as I have already said, you have to help people feel commited. Assigning
> tasks and building a real team definitely adds that commitment.
>
> Regarding decisions, if you realize, there are still conversations about
> what should the manual be, what structure should have. After how many years?
> You don't think that a formal decision-making process should be established?

The move to the new manual system has been to impliment the second
option (as you put it).

Regarding formal decission making process - Yes, this is needed,

We could work on the current manual, as a reference manual, after a
month or so, active contributors can have a more formal role in the
decission making process.

- Campbell