[Bf-docboard] Manual scope

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 02:32:02 CET 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Pep Ribal <pepribal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I explained my view on the subject a few days ago. To summarize:
>
> -There should be both a manual AND a reference.

Perhaps we have different definitions of **reference**.
But I think a well written reference manual, (which isnt just listing
of tools/options and gives good descriptive text)
Would be a really good start, and worth spending time on, on its own.

Once we finish this we can see if we have the capacity to maintain
more documentation.

> -Manual sections should be pretty much the same there are now (modeling,
> rendering, rigging, animation,...)
> -Reference sections should be broken, into editors.
> -Manual can then link to information in the reference.
> -The current "editors" section in the manual doesn't make any sense, as this
> is exactly the Blender reference.
>
> I emphasize the need to set up a team asap, and start meetings and
> decisions, assignments and deadlines. Otherwise, I feel the blender
> documentation discussion as a chronic incurable disease.

Agree, a problem we have is its not clear who is really going to be involved.
We could postpone defining a **team** until we can see who becomes
active working on the manual.

> I'm not just pointing out what you should do. I'm also offering my help in
> whatever you need.

Thats great, and I see you're been making patches/improvements already.
At the moment its a bit tricky... we still havn't defined if we're
doing a reference manual or not (for eg. though it looks like it
probably will be a referene)

I've talked with Greg Zaal about ways we might focus community efforts
on one area of the manual,
one of us will likely mail the list about this soon.

- Campbell