[Bf-docboard] Style Suggestion - Double Space after Period?

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 01:44:44 CET 2015

Huh?
You mean, no space like this?

     This is a sentence.This is also a sentence.Why are there no spaces
here?Who knows.

For me the docs have single spaces, like this:

     "Many factors go into the quality of the rendered image. Rendering
a scene without changing any of the render settings is     probably
going to produce a rather unpleasant image."

I've never heard of a no-space-after-periods convention, and I don't
think I'd like it if I did :P
If there really are no spaces for some users, then it sounds like a bug imo.

On 01/25/15 16:01, Wayne Campbell wrote:
> On googling I see I have stumbled into a controversial area.   Who
> knew that the norm was to have no space.  It doesn't seem as readable,
> but I can see this isn't one that I am going to win.
>
> ...  suggestion withdrawn.
>

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Wayne Campbell <wayneinbc at gmail.com
> <mailto:wayneinbc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     But even your note has at least a single space after the periods.
>     The blender docs have no space.
>

>     On Sunday, January 25, 2015, Nicholas Rishel
>     <rishel.nick at gmail.com <mailto:rishel.nick at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         To be more specific as to why: double space after a period is
>         a carry over from monospaced type typewriters; computers
>         eliminate this need because most commonly used fonts are
>         proportionally spaced. I don't think a compelling argument can
>         be made that this is useful because double space is considered
>         neither good practice nor a common convention.
>
>         On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Jaagup Irve
>         <jaagup.irve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>             This is creepy. No, please, no :)
>
>             J.
>
>             On 25 January 2015 at 20:38, Wayne Campbell
>             <wayneinbc at gmail.com> wrote:
>             > It makes for easier reading to have a double space after
>             the period ending a
>             > sentence.  Our latest formatted docs have no space at
>             all -  the next
>             > sentence is pressed up against the period.   What do
>             others think?  Is this
>             > something that should be on the list to fix?
>             >
>             >
>             > Wayne
>             >