[Bf-docboard] Shape Keys - Editing

koil . dd4567 at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 16:34:29 CET 2015

hi.

I was going to try update the Editing part of the Shape Keys page.
http://blender.org/manual/animation/techs/shape/shape_keys.html#shape-keys-panel

I added a draft below.

I wasnt sure what format to used to reference the tools and props on the panel.
At the moment the widgets have Text added to them.
If people are translating the manual later, this may not be the best way to reference a panel.
Another way is to add small numbers next to widgets, then list the tools and props with numbers.
Another way is to add small pictures/icons to the list of tools and props below.
But I dunno.

Would it be better to move the Editing part of the page to the Editing page.
http://blender.org/manual/animation/techs/shape/shape_keys.html#shape-keys-panel
http://blender.org/manual/animation/techs/shape/shape_keys/editing.html
.. Or should they stay on the same page?.

Should the Tools be documented with the Blue Reference strips, and the Modes they can be used in,
or should they just be documented in a clear list with good sentences how to use them?.

Also, if anyone else has any proposals for this page, or better worded sentences, feel free to join in, I guess.

= Editing =

Documentation for editing shape keys.

== Workflow ==

These are some common workflows for editing shape keys.

=== Add and Remove Shape Keys ===

To add new and remove shape keys, use the [+] and [-] widgets.
The first shape key is called the Basis, this is the default shape of the object.

=== Modify Shape Key ===

The shape key data, the shape of the the object, is usually modified in the 3D view, by switching to Edit Mode, then changing the shape of the object.

1: Select an object in Object Mode.
1: Select a shape key via the Shape Keys panel.
2: Change the 3D view to Edit Mode.
3: Modify the shape of the object.
4: Change the 3D view back to Object Mode.

=== Modify Basis ===

The workflow is the same to modify the Basis shape key, though the results can differ.
When the Relative option is checked, this will propogate the changes to all other shape keys.
When the Relative option is cleared, this will only modify the Basis shape key.

== Reference ==

Reference for the Shape Keys panel when editing shape keys.

// Todo: Add Shape Keys Editing panel reference picture.
// Im not sure whats the best way to reference panels yet.
// Todo: Rewrite Tools and Props below.

Name
: Double click or Ctrl+LMB to rename.
Mute
Add
Remove
Move
Show Active
Edit Mode
Relative
: Used to modify the Basis shape key, or to change the Animation Mode.
: See Modify Basis for more info.
Specials
- Transfer Shape Key
- Join as Shapes