[Bf-docboard] Building the html pages

Wim Teuling wfteuling at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 23:53:19 CET 2015

Last week I decided to check the Blender docs, and I'd like to start helping out with the documentation. A year or two ago I fixed a number of mistakes and errors in the documentation in the old system.

I like the look and feel of the new approach. I also like how Sphinx can export to multiple formats.

Unfortunately, the steps for building the pages do not work for me: I set up a local repository, downloaded all the files, installed Python 3.4, and tried to run the requirements.txt as explained. (I am on Windows)

That is where my trouble began: scripts not found, etc. I added a path to the Windows system vars, still no go. At some point I got it to install some components, but I was lost after that. I cannot get it to work properly. And I am a web developer, so I do know how to work with svn, github, programming, etc.

After an hour of trial and error, and checking the Sphinx manual for clues, I gave up. I just do not have time for this. The setup documentation is severely lacking, which is ironic.

Really, I just want to write and edit, and help out with, the documentation, but this is taking too much time, and the barrier is set fairly high to be able to start writing! If I can't get it up and running within 20 minutes, how on earth are less experienced potential writers going to deal with this?
I will uninstall everything, and try again next week, when I have time. Too bad, I could have been editing and writing today.