[Bf-docboard] Project Management Tool and Offer to Assist

Michael J. Fink michael.j.fink at outlook.com
Sat Jan 17 20:49:35 CET 2015

Hello team,

This email is in response to the discussion in the "Being involved In
documentation" thread throughout this week.  Ton let me know that my
original messages were not being validated by Yahoo! (thanks for the
heads-up, Ton!), so I'm trying Outlook-forgive me if you are getting this
message multiple times.

It was suggested earlier this week that the Bf-docboard team needed a
Project Manager to lead this effort.  I am not emailing to volunteer for
this effort-but instead to offer the below tool that we use in my day job to
manage multiple projects.  I feel this tool may be useful to an appointed
Project Manager to guide and facilitate discussions and manage on-going
actions/tasks.

I have built a template "Review" process.  The .pdf link is below as well as
the .pptx--you are free to use this document if the team choses (use the
slide master to remove my name and add the name of the person building the
deck).  We have successfully used this process for several years to guide
multi-million dollar projects impacting thousands of people across the
globe.

PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwu6dhdn9hmcw63/Blender%20Documentation%20Project%
20Review%20%28proposal%29.pdf?dl=0

PPTX:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcorrecirwi9dos/Blender%20Documentation%20Project%
20Review%20%28proposal%29.pptx?dl=0

* Please note that the text entries in the file are examples for
demonstration.

It is useful for:

(1) Spurring discussion and ideas,

(2) Solidifying those ideas and discussion points into actionable tasks,

(3) Providing clear direction for those that are responsible for performing
(or delegating) those tasks,

(4) Providing a method for updates and recommendations on existing tasks,

(5) Focusing a discussion onto a single vision and effort,

(6) and documenting progress, identifying trends, and adjusting effort
quickly.

The "Review" does take time to update and build, but by consolidating tasks
and inputs into a single document, it does help create a helpful overview
and guiding document to manage the project--not just for the project
leaders, but for all participants.  When we do these reviews, we consolidate
inputs from as many as 30 offices and hold meetings to discuss the inputs
and adjust focus or re-allocate assets (manpower, money, etc).  This is much
more efficient than holding 30 different discussions, each with a meeting
and side tasks--resulting in duplication of effort, starving some offices
while overfeeding others, etc.  I think this is the best way to guide and
lead a project of this undertaking.

Once the Project's goal is met (or solidly on track), the review process can
end.  This is not meant to be a permanent fixture, but a simpler "metric" or
"stoplight" document can take its place if desired.

I am more than happy to offer my services for:

(1) If the review is adopted, I can coordinate the updates between the task
owners and the Project Manager(s).

(2) QC'ing pages (quality control for grammar, spelling, flow, etc)

(3) Screenshots/video grabs of certain functions or elements.  (This could
be useful for somebody who has written a good text article but needs
somebody to take the time and do the associated screenshots or video grabs.

[My credentials: I have been a Flight Chief for the US Air Force leading
teams of 100+ individuals from all services and a wide range of ranks.  I
have been a Superintendent of a Wing-level directorate responsible for
planning and programming for 4,000 Airmen and directly managing a $19,000
annual budget and $20K in IT assets (not large, but sizable enough).  My job
is Project Management, but not software project management or software
development specifically.  I am familiar with Agile methodology, AFSO 21 (a
military version of Six Sigma, which is more of a problem detection and
prevention approach), as well as the more common "waterfall" way of doing
things.]

Please don't hesitate to ask or comment if you have questions on how this
might help the project.  I am not knowledgeable on software (although I do
play a little with web design), and I don't use Blender as much any more,
but I am passionate about the community and what Blender represents, and I
hope this is somewhat useful.   Just let me know what tasks and pages I can
help with, or if the review (or similar process) is adopted how I can help
modify it to work best with the team flow.

Thank you for reading, and sorry for the long-windedness or if you have
received this message already (crossing fingers that Outlook will validate
this message).

v/r,

Michael Fink

BnBGobo99