[Bf-docboard] getting started on w7?

Abuelo S. B. Chdancer playadance at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 23:38:58 CET 2015

I live in hope, but....

I have just watched the video,  http://www.blender.org/documentation/ given
by Francesco Siddi and Cambell Barton. supposedly about documentation.

It was about technology to enable documentation, not about documentation.

There was a small piece near the end where the documentation process was
mentioned, but mostly in a way that said... "er we have no idea, that's not
our area."

At the end one guy in the audience asked what I believe was a practical
non-tech questions, "How do I get involved and maybe write a couple of
pages about a topic I know?"

The presenters responded with more tech because they were giving a
presentation about technology, not a presentation about documentation.

The reply should have been.....

Contact this person by ..email, register at this address... state what
specific topic you think you can help on... you can write it in an email or
whatever wordprocessor you like and then upload it on this webpage- Please
contact the person responsible for that section of the manual - the list is
on the webpage where you can upload the text.

Or something to that effect.

Another member of the audience stated the obvious - there has to be a style
guide.

You guys have 'ported' (I would say 'copied') the old wiki into a new wiki
- but the old wiki wasn't designed to work.

What you have is a technically slick, probably wonderfully engineered pigs
ear.

I really, really don't want to annoy anyone saying this. I would like to
see a good manual. Manuals are hard to create. Explaining in simple prose
to someone who doesn't have a clue what you know is even harder.

The answer is not very tecky. It is social and literary. It requires social
organization.

The tech part is an extremely easy input system (no downloads, no IRC, no
archived cryptic stuff).
It requires a webpage that says how to register, a simple checklist or
dialogue box to state what you feel capable of writing about and an email
response from someone saying,
"Glad to have you on board, here's our style sheet and standard layout,
send me your first draft whenever you can"

I live in hope....