[Bf-docboard] Wiki Documentation License

Ivan Paulos Tomé greylica at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 16:15:30 CEST 2013

Hi !
Here is Ivan Paulos Tomé.  (Greylica).

We have a license from 1998, which is the first open content license,
in wiki, here:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderWiki:Copyrights

And one from 1999 (openpub), both at the same site.

Links:

http://opencontent.org/opl.shtml  (old, july 1998)

http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/ (new, june 1999)

I was following the openpub license, which is restrictive in some parts,
but at the same time, leaves room for others to improve the documentation,
or create derivative works in some levels. Most of the friends that are
creating
books, are following the same rule. I have some Blender books here in my
home,
 and they are, in some levels, derivative works of our wiki with a
reformatting.
But because of the media that carries the content (in general, books and
dvds),
and their reformatting, we never thought about this as a serious issue.

Sure, our nearest friends always respect each others work, for example,
some friends, when using some external contents, are putting links with
proper information pointing to external sources, even when this information
is replicated in one of our wiki pages.

In fact, in blenderwiki or any other material in the market, when
explainning
how to use Blender installed with factory defaults, shows the same commands,
 no matter what type of media it has been published, so,
most of the basic things are a common sense, in any media

I guess this is a good time to discuss this license, and because of the
common practices, move to openpub license.

This move, will only reflect the common practices already used in paper
prints and some DVDs with PDFs inside, and won't cause any problem or
prejudice to our wiki, it's contents and friends, including me.

Cheers !
Ivan Paulos Tomé.
Greylica.