[Bf-docboard] Some proposals to improve the contents of the Blender Wiki Manual.

Ivan Paulos Tomé greylica at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 17:05:54 CET 2012

*Hi bf-docboard Team !*

My name is Ivan Paulos Tomé – A.k.a. Greylica.
As some of you may know, I’m working with the
documentation team for some time, and we are
working and reviewing some pages as a team,
we are developing pages and
we are publishing those pages when they are OK.

Recently, I’m making a Map of the Blender wiki, with
some notes and references to help friends of the
documentation team and translators.

The infrastructure of the wiki is quite good, but I also
took some of the time spent in doing my maps to read
pages, make some verifications, fix some problems, etc.
I will share some of those notes with you all,
in those notes I wrote some proposals for
modifications I think we need, based on
the readings of the sections,
subsections and chapters of the main manual, and
using Blender.

Those notes are related to the first 5 sections of the manual:

   - Introduction
   - Starting
   - Data System and Files
   - Interaction in 3D
   - Modeling
   - Modifiers and Deformation

*Proposal for changes in the infrastructure of Chapters and Sections: (
Contents ) (3)
*
*Modeling *Section:

Subsection: Introduction.-

*Chapter: Conversion and Hierarchy →  Need to be added*

* We need a new ‘’Conversion and Hierarchy’’ chapter under
subsection Introduction, explainning what are the
elements that could be converted into Curves and Meshes.

For Instance:

Text- They are like read-only curves →  could be converted to Curves or
Meshes
Meta and Surfaces →  Mesh
Curves →  could be converted to Meshes and Vice Versa, depending
on the Mesh (Open = OK, Closed = Won't work)
What’s the standard calculation for the curves from Meshes for example ?
Sketches → As another plus, they could be converted to Geometry.
(Only a reference to the Sketch system  is needed)

*Modeling *Section:

Subsection: Mesh Objects -

*Chapter – Separating elements →  Need to be added.*

Another important way of modeling that needs to be covered in the manual,
and
now that the boolean operations is incredibly improved with the Carve
booleans,
we deserve a chapter for this ;).

*Modeling *Section:

Subsection: Curves -

*Chapter - Curve Skinning – Need to be added – *

We have to separate this info from the Advanced Editing Chapter
Curve Skinning - will explain Tapper, and Bevel Objects.
Advanced Editing  - Should Refer to special curve Manipulation methods,
Calculations, how to close Curves, etc, and the chapter will best suit its
own purposes.

*Proposal for changes in the name conventions: (Names of the chapters and
sections) (2)*

*Starting *Section

Subsection: The Vital Functions -

Change Undo/Redo name in the page only (not in the Infrastructure), then:

- *Undo and Redo* → *Undo, Redo and Recovery. *

*Modifiers and Deformation* Section

The name ‘Modifiers and Deformation’ doesn’t  reflect exactly what is in
the
Subsections, for example, the ‘Generate’ and the ‘Simulate’ Subsection,
are Modifiers but they aren’t só clear in the name of the Section.
Then I have a proposal to change:

- *Modifiers and Deformation* → *Modifiers – Deform, Generate, Modify, and
Simulate.*

Yeah, the name is bigger than before, but this new name for the Section
covers all of modifiers, even the ones that could be added in the future.

*Good Vibrations for everyone !

Ivan Paulos Tomé – greylica.*