[Bf-docboard] Do we need a Blender Manual?

Jim Tucker jim.tucker at live.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 18:52:34 CET 2012

Hi everyone,
My aim in asking this question was simply check that we are all sure that we are not wasting our time in working on the wiki (no, Fade: I do not have any better suggestions).
Although the replies come from a highly biased population,  it is clear that we all agree that:
    a)  the  Blender manual is useful
    b)  the wiki, for all its faults,  is the best way of providing it.
    c)  it still needs a very substantial effort  to catch up following the 2.49/ 2.5 migration (my spreadsheet gives some indication of where work is required)
    d)  a further effort is needed to document new/modified features recently added to the system - this needs collaboration between wiki authors and developers.

 For my part, I would like to work on c) first. It is obvious that a huge work is needed,  but it is often surprising how small efforts can add up to a very substantial result. On that basis, I'm quite willing to supply a bit of the effort needed to help this process.  I prefer to work on a particular section of the manual (I learn more that way!).  I will make some concrete proposals in the next few days.

Regards,
Jim Tucker(sculptorjim)