[Bf-docboard] Redirecting old 2.3 docs: help needed!

trouble daemon troubledaemon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:41:58 CET 2011

Brecht,

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
> I think perhaps the current use of namespaces contributes to the problem?
>
> Right now the 2.4 manual is in Doc:Manual, 2.5 in Doc:2.5/Manual and
> 2.6 in Doc:2.6/Manual. This way the latest version always keeps
> changing URL, and it needs to start again rising in the rankings. More
> logical to me would be that we'd now have Doc:2.4/Manual,
> Doc:2.5/Manual, and Doc:Manual for 2.6.

Actually, I believe that Luca plans on making Doc:Manual/ pages become
Doc:2.4/Manual, so that the version/series is specified in the page
title instead of just assumed.

At the moment, the indexing system has some complicated page title
regex parsing sql code to basically grep out the version from the
title. As you can imagine, this makes "unversioned" pages next to
impossible to determine without hand coding some insane switch like
statement to determine what doesn't have a version based on which
namespace. By renaming all the Doc:Manual to Doc:2.4/Manual, there
will be no need to resort to guesswork or figuring out the series
based on the namespace and page title, we can just use the page title,
which will simplify the indexing for the sphinx search considerably.
Also, our "unversioned" results will start to work finally.

Anyways, hope that gives others some insight into some of the backend
stuff since the search end of things is probably a mystery to a few.
:)