[Bf-docboard] Redirecting old 2.3 docs: help needed!

Raindrops From Sky raindrops.fromsky at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 23:54:47 CET 2011

Why not simply retire the old pages, rather than this exercise? Once
the old 2.3 pages are out of the way, the users will quickly find find
the new wiki pages. More hits on the new pages means their rankings
will dramatically.

The problem with SEO rating of the new pages is, the rate of change is
slow (see Wiki>New pages). If these pages are changed more frequently,
there will be more hits from the REPEAT users, and consequently the
Google rating would quickly shoot up.

We cannot expect people top write content in the older branches. So
why not simply archive the old branches (if anyone wants to refer to
the old stuff, he/she can always download and unzip the content.)

Simply copy the previous content to the latest branch page and add a
HatNote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Hatnote) that this
content is based on old version x.xx; and may be outdated. After that,
all the old pages can be retired immediately. Since all users can see
only the LATEST version in wiki, they will focus on that page, leading
a robust rate of change (and better SEO ratings).

****
Another issue is to the Description meta tags are missing in the new
pages. Adding them will improve the ratings of the new pages on its
own; without having to piggy-ride on the back of the more popular old
pages.

Just my two cents...