[Bf-docboard] Blender.org education/help section

John Blain silverjb12 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 02:27:40 CEST 2011

Reference: Ton's request for volunteers to assist with fixing the Blender
education section.

 Thanks for the reply from Luca.

 I have been pondering what to do and if I could assist in this.

 To participate I feel that some direction should be given specifying the
objective of the update to the Blender Education section. In the first
instance it would require a definition of what the Education section is and
then it would probably need a broad outline of what is to be achieved.

 A very simplistic approach would be to consider that the Education section
is everything that is linked to the 'Education and Help' tab at the top of
the blender.org homepage.

 Before venturing down the path of the Education links perhaps consideration
should be given to the Blender homepage itself. I feel that the waters are
already a little muddied since the homepage ( blender.org ) is the starting
point for everything Blender which includes 2.50+ and 2.49 and everything
prior to 2.49.

 With the introduction of Blender 2.50 and the new Interface there has been
a dramatic change.

 Perhaps the Blender homepage ( blender.org ) should now be revised to be
2.50+ specific and be remodelled to distinguish it from everything prior to
2.49. It of course should include a regressive link to the old site.

 In my view it is simpler and easier to write new rather than try and
remodel the old.

 Blender 2.50+ is a new baby. Let it grow by itself without prejudice.

 On the subject of my Blender Book I concede that it is linked from
wiki.blender.org/index.php/Books but I'm damned if I can find any link from
either blender.org or wiki.blender.org that gets me to that page. The only
way to get there is to enter the address. I'm probably blind so please point
the way.

 The chance that a new user will enter a search for '*Wiki *Blender Books'
when looking for 'Blender Help' or a 'Blender Manual' is remote. A search
for 'Blender Books' doesn't help either.

 Sincerely John Blain