[Bf-docboard] Review of Intro: Python, Linux, Community, Configuration requested

Fade fadeshayol at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 07:36:01 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I've been working my way through the Introduction chapter and would like to
make a number of major changes to the following pages which I've made
available on the Sandbox.

--Python--

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Sandbox/Doc:2.5/Python

Mentioned previously, but listed here for completion. The bulk of these
changes are simply there to account for the fact that python is provided
with the blender install

--Linux--

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Sandbox/Doc:2.5/Linux

I've tried to make this page more consistent with the Installing on Windows
page as well as removing a fair bit of content to make it more concise. The
main thing I've removed is the "How to setup icons on KDE and Gnome" as:

1) neither KDE or gnome look like this anymore
2) instructions on how to use particular desktop environments should be left
to the docs of those environments
3) I don't think it's a particularly critical piece of information,
especially given how many other environments and window managers there are
in use and how readily their docs are available.

--Blender's community--

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Sandbox/Doc:2.5/Community

Most changes are to the "Who uses Blender?" section - I made it more concise
and removed all that statistics that I couldn't find solid references for.

--Recommended for deletion--

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.5/Manual/Introduction/Installing_Blender/Configuration

I'm of the opinion that this page should be deleted as the content is
covered in either Vital Functions or Setting Preferences. The remaining
material does not appear particularly relevant.

--Need assistance for the Installing on Mac page--

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.5/Manual/Introduction/Installing_Blender/Mac

I have no idea about what the Mac install process is as I don't have access
to any Macs.