[Bf-docboard] Blender Proceedings

Raindrops From Sky raindrops.fromsky at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 13:38:33 CEST 2010

Well, that's exactly the point I am making: Compared to the commercial
books, Pediapress books are so cheap that people can afford to buy the
latest editions to stay current. (http://pediapress.com/books/)

In any case people can download the latest pdf each month and read them at
leisure.
This only involves the cost of downloading. This would be especially useful
in the initial months when the wiki is being re-written at break-neck
speeds. (Once the wiki matures, the user won't need frequent upgrades).

Ton, there is no way to keep the authors of the commercial books happy on
this count. Thanks to the pdf/odt extensions, the wiki-based books have
acquired a natural strength that no commercial book can match.

The only way you can avoid a competition is NOT to let users download the
latest odt/pdf versions (by not installing the pdf/odt extensions mentioned
in my previous post). But I don't think that's fair to the wiki readers.
****
The original thread started with the proposal to have a quarterly magazine.
(Nothing to do with wikibook vs commercial books on Blender).

yet it is worth thinking about this aspect.