[Bf-docboard] New Lighting chapter

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Sat Mar 28 21:12:06 CET 2009

Hi Bastien ,

--- On Sat, 3/28/09, Bastien Montagne <montagne29 at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> As some of you might have noted, I've made a proposition in
> the sandbox,
> about reorganisation of the "lighting" part
> (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Sandbox/Lighting)

looking at your URL structure, it is:

Lighting
	Ambient Light
	Ambient Occlusion
	Exposure
	Lamps
		Area
			Ray Shadows
		Hemi
		Lamp
			Ray Shadows
		Light Attenuation
		Lighting Rigs
		Related Settings
		Spot
			Buf Shadows
			Halo
			Ray Shadows
		Sun
			Ray Shadows
			Sky and Atmosphere
	Light and Shadows
	Radiosity
	Radiosity Baking
	Radiosity Rendering

while actually it is:

Lighting
	Ambient Light
	Ambient Occlusion
	Exposure
	Lamp Types
		Area
		Hemi
		Lamp
		Spot
		Sun
	Radiosity
		Baking
		Rendering
	Rigs
	Shadows and Halos
		Buffer Shadows
		Raytraced Shadows
		Volumetric Halos

My suggestion is to use this URL structure:

Lighting
	Ambient Light
	Ambient Occlusion
	Exposure
	Lamps
		Common Options
			Light Attenuation
			Related Settings
			Light and Shadows
		Lamp
			Ray Shadows
		Spot
			Buf Shadows
			Halo
			Ray Shadows
		Hemi
		Area
			Ray Shadows
		Sun
			Ray Shadows
			Sky and Atmosphere
		Lighting Rigs
	Radiosity
		Baking
		Rendering

A criticism is that all those Ray shadows pages seem all the same, and the montecarlo paragraph is always the same, I'd put similar parts in the same page, so that the reader can actually see when things are changed in an unique place.

Also, I'd prefer if you use shorter names in the Table of Contents: I have put an example here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta_talk:Sandbox/Lighting#Shorter_titles

If people here decide that it's ok, remember to do the change also to Tutorials page and eventually Theory pages, so that things go smoothly together.

All in all, I'd like to see the previous efforts merged in these pages, so to have the best of the pages - old and new.

Best regards,
Luca

http://www.mindrones.com