[Bf-docboard] wiki refactor: help cataloguing UI images!

Tobias Regenbrecht regenbrecht at gmx.net
Sun Mar 22 11:01:12 CET 2009

> 1) How to document Blender with screenshots always up-to-date with
> the current Blender release?
>
> We can "wrap" images into templates, and then just insert something like
>
> {{Image/Buttons window-curve tools 1 panel|2.48}}
>
> or
>
> {{Image/3D window-Radial menu|2.51}}

This may be a nice idea but I don't think it's worth it.

With all your categorizing and templating and sorting and the like, you won't
get a page more to be written and finished.

I may write this in vain, because obviously nobody is listening to me, but:
-> it is very simple to write a complete and up to date manual.
-> it takes four years and two people working 10 hours per week on it.
-> keep it as simple as possible for others to contribute.
-> make it easy to share the content with other places and keep the license as
open as possible.
-> keep the structure flat so that you can rearrange the table of contents
without moving the pages.
-> most images can be used only once, because they show something specific. If
they show something specific it shouldn't be necessary to describe them
twice, so they are used at a unique place. This may be different for
tutorials though.
-> keep old pages intact, including the images. At least the author of the
page needs to be honored, don't throw his work away he will never come back.
-> never ever offend an author by ripping a page apart he has written. The
authors are the most valuable good you have, honor their work they do it
voluntarily.

But go ahead and do as you like....