[Bf-docboard] Wiki overhaul discussion; was Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 44, Issue 4

kamalx kamaleshwar.morjal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 17:57:45 CEST 2008

Roger Wickes wrote:
> Hi everyone! I just got the digest, and am glad to see some interst,
> so I thought I would add my $0.02 to direct some effort.
> Regarding:
>
> > For myself I've always felt that the documentation should have many
> > parts (books):
> > - one for quick reference where an experimented artist could find a
> > precise description of the use of every feature ;
> > - a manual that would elaborate on the reference to make every sticky
> > point clear, give clear examples where needed and cross-reference to
> > the rest of the Wiki;
> > - a collection of tutorials that would go further than the basics, not
> > just repeat in an informal way what can already be found in the
> > reference or the manual.
>
> There ARE three books:
> wiki.Blender.org/Manual - descriptive, end-user, elaborate
> wiki.Blender.org/Reference - specific, precise, detail
> wiki.Blender.org/Tutorials - workflow, start-to-finish, step-by-step
> accomplishment-oriented

err.. all the three above urls gave me a 404 error at the time of
writing this. (1556 hrs GMT)

However, even if, say, for the manual, the three versions do exist,
wouldn't it make sense to update a single document
with new-coming versions of Blender rather than updating all separate
versions. Please consider the idea of mark-up
for selective content to be shown as mentioned in my other post. I
strongly feel it would improve maintainability.
> Each book is structured at a high level the same for consistency. So,
> if I want to know what Blender can do regarding Materials, I flip to
> the Manual book, Materials section. If I want to know what a specific
> panel control is/does and maybe the math behind it, I flip to the
> Reference book, Materials panels. If I am completely lost regarding
> how to color my cube, I read a Tutorial book Materials section.
>
> All wiki books are listed on wiki.Blender.org, so..maybe you want us
> to say what I just said on that page, or provide a "Guide to using the
> Blender Wiki Books" page?
>
> The list of Manual pages that need updating, for those new to the doco
> effort and want to help, is also ont he wiki.Blender.org page, but is
> specifically http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Wiki_Taskswhich i keep
> updated for each Blender release for changes needed to the Manual
> book. If someone else wants to augment that page with deficiencies in
> the other books, go for it. Of course, if anyone sees any issues with
> any Manual page, please update that to-do list!
>

> > - ideally we would have our own introduction to 3D graphics, animation
> > and real-time because not everyone has a mastery of the lingo in use
> > among 3D artists. I guess that I am dreaming...
>
> You are dreaming if you are expecting our intro to 3D graphics,
> animation and real-time book to be available free of charge. There are
> entire sets of books in libraries that cover those topics most
> completely, or available from Amazon, or schools (Animation Mentor)
> and various web sites that provide very useful information, including
> some threads in BlenderArtists. Previous/current wiki attempts are
> marginal at best. With our limited resources, we need to keep Blender
> documentation focused on using Blender specifically. (Scope Control!)
> and try to keep the three books up to date: Manual, Reference, Tutorials.

:) No doubt scope control is essential but some contextual scoops should
do no harm though! :P
They're really interesting read within manuals.