[Bf-docboard] nav bars

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Aug 7 05:01:32 CEST 2006

On 05/08/2006, at 02:23 AM, Ryan Dale wrote:

> > Although there are few loose ends, I'm calling this project
> complete.
>
> Impressive work Matt!  It was sorely needed and you did a great job
> on it.  It makes the manual look more professional, and I hope your
> changes will make it easier for editors and readers alike.

Thanks very much!

> One potentially misleading issue I see is the nav bar at the bottom
> of some pages (the one with "Previous Page", "Contents", and "Next
> Page").   I'm guessing they're remnants of the original manual
> because some pages have them and some pages don't.  I think they
> sort of force an artificially linear structure on the manual.
>
> What about completely removing those nav bars?  The TOC page would
> become a master list of all the content and would define the
> structure of the manual.  Need to add a page?  Add a link to it in
> the TOC and you're done, instead of working out which page should
> be "previous" and which should be "next", then editing the nav bars
> of those respective pages.

Ack I did forget about those, didn't I... I agree that those bars add
a substantial burden to new page authors. I wouldn't be against
removing them all together either.

I wonder how much people actually use that. I don't think I ever
have, myself, and I doubt many people would want to use the reference
manual as a linear book, more like jumping to bits that they are
interested in.

Any other thoughts?

cheers

Matt