[Bf-docboard] Serious Issue: Versioning - Proposal

Stefano Selleri stefano.selleri at unifi.it
Mon Nov 14 10:54:48 CET 2005

Hrm, one cannot take a weekend off....

The versioning of the doc is a major problem and we were well aware that
wiki is weaker than docbook + CVS in this respect, but we decided to go for
wiki because we were in need of making life easer for new contributor.

This definitely succeeed since we do have many good new writers working now.

The Key point of wiki.blender.org is to maintain an updated documentation
for Blender. Updated means that a user downloads Blender (And I bet
he/she/it would download the last version) and must be able to find on
wiki.blender.org the explanation of how it works and what to do to achieve a
specific result.

Keeping the wiki up to date is already a big task and there is no need to
add the burden of keeping older version.

The localization of the manual on wiki.blender.org are very welcome since
many blender user might be not that proficient with English. They are
maintained by local groups whicha re very active. The only fixed point is
that they must not bring the translation to a state wich is more up-to-date
than English core version.

This is not a great problem singe local groups can very well write a part
both in english and their own language and have some native english check
it.

For images, there is a disk space issue, so it is higly preferrable,
whenever possible, to avoid localized images. Of course localized images
should have a .xx. country code appended, as already proposed. No versioning
at all of images, please. Wiki *do* keep versions.

Stefano