[Bf-docboard] Optimizing images (to Stefano)

Omar Modesto viernes_trece at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 8 20:56:33 CET 2004

Optimizing images is just a matter or increasing the compression of PNG
images. These optimized images can be up to 1/3 of their original file size.
No quality is lost, just better lossless compression. That would really
reduce page load times for people reading the manual online, and download
times for people who download the whole thing. There are apps for optimizing
images (OptiPNG, pngcrush, pngout, advpng/advdeflate), but I thought no one
else in the documentation project had time for that, so I thought it would
be a nice thing to do.

Now, about JPEG images...they can be optimized by removing useless chunks of
data that have nothing to do with image(color) data. The compression
increase is not much (1%-6%).

Oh...and how would I go about submitting stuff via e-mail? Just attach the
images to the e-mail and send them?

Again, thanks.

Omar