[Bf-docboard] 3D Concepts and Fundamentals Chapter

Jason Oppel bf-docboard@blender.org
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 08:31:59 -0400

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:16:04 +1000, Matt Ebb <matt@mke3.net> wrote:

> I have a minor critique - since this is a beginners/fundamentals chapter,
> think it would probably be best to keep things simple and concise, and
> tackle the left-hand/right-hand co-ordinate system disparities somewhere
> else. I worry about overloading the new user with so much information and
> idiosyncracies right at the start when they're trying to get their heads
> around 3D in general.

I'll see if I can't cull some of it and make it a bit shorter.  I do think
it needs to be covered near the beginning though.

> Or another thing you could do is describe everything in the diagrams with
> Blender's co-ordinate system, then put in a little 'aside' box a
> paragraph
> mentioning that other programs do things differently with Y axis upwards
> etc.to keep it a bit less confusing.

Yeah, I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to teach the coordinate
system without overwhelming and/or boring the reader.  I think I'll try
your second suggestion and just use left handed coordinates to begin with
and then mention somewhere that other apps use the more 'conventional'
right handed coordinate system.  Originally I started describing the
coordinate system in right handed terms because most people would be
familiar with that from school but looking back it does seem a bit
confusing. :) I'll hack it up a bit and see if I can make the coordinate
system section more concise and easier to grasp.

> Anyway, overall it's great!

Thanks!

The really fun and interesting chapter is going to be the rendering one.

-Jason <Pato>