[Bf-docboard] Re: suggested definitions for the Blender glossary: active, selected, EditMode, etc.

Bart Veldhuizen bf-docboard@blender.org
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:42:49 +0200

--------------080000060402080700050809

Hi Tim,

please direct your replies to the bf-docboard@blender.org list - this is
an issue that we need to discuss in public.

Bart

Tim Howe wrote:

>Bart,
>
>"ObjectMode" sounds good to me. I have revised my suggested definitions
>(attached).
>
>- Tim

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi Tim,<br>
please direct your replies to the <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:bf-docboard@blender.org">bf-docboard@blender.org</a> list - this
is an issue that we need to discuss in public. <br>
Bart<br>
Tim Howe wrote:<br>
 cite="midBAY1-DAV57PyJz2GrIn00006005@hotmail.com">
  <pre wrap="">Bart,

"ObjectMode" sounds good to me. I have revised my suggested definitions
(attached).

- Tim

thanks for your suggestion. I agree with you that the 'mode which has no
name' could use a name. However, I'm not sure that WholeObjectMode is a
very useful one. Simply Objectmode might work as well, I suppose. Let's
hear what the others think.

Cheers,

Bart

Tim Howe wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Greetings,

I would like to suggest four definitions for the Blender glossary. I have
appended the four definitions below, and I have also attached them.

But first, I would like to suggest that the Mode That Has No Name, the
      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->Mode
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">That Is Not EditMode, be given a name. The name I would suggest is
WholeObjectMode. That's a bit long, but history appears to indicate that
      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->the
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">name is not destined for wide usage.

Thank you for your attention.

- Tim Howe

active
 the object that is in EditMode or is immediately switchable (usually by
TAB) to EditMode
 No more than one object is active at any moment. Typically, the most
recently selected object is active.

EditMode
 the mode for making intra-object graphical changes
 Blender has exactly two modes for making changes graphically. EditMode
allows intra-object changes (moving, scaling, rotating, deleting, and
      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->other
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">operations on selected vertices in the active object). By contrast,
WholeObjectMode allows inter-object changes (operations on selected
objects).

selected
 an object chosen to be a target of operations (in WholeObjectMode)
 At any moment, each object is deselected (inert) or selected or active
(which means selected, and also editable at the vertex level).

WholeObjectMode
 the mode for making inter-object graphical changes
 Blender has exactly two modes for making changes graphically.
WholeObjectMode allows inter-object changes (moving, scaling, rotating,
deleting, and other operations on selected objects). By contrast,
      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->EditMode
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">allows intra-object changes (operations on selected vertices in the
      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->active
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">object).

      active

    the object that is in EditMode &lt;#EditMode&gt; or is immediately
    switchable (usually by TAB) to EditMode

    No more than one object is active at any moment. Typically, the
    most recently selected &lt;#selected&gt; object is active.

      EditMode

    the mode for making intra-object graphical changes

    Blender has exactly two modes for making changes graphically.
    EditMode allows intra-object changes (moving, scaling, rotating,
    deleting, and other operations on selected &lt;#selected&gt; vertices in
    the active &lt;#active&gt; object). By contrast, WholeObjectMode
    &lt;#WholeObjectMode&gt; allows inter-object changes (operations on
    selected objects).

      selected

    an object chosen to be a target of operations (in WholeObjectMode
    &lt;#WholeObjectMode&gt;)

    At any moment, each object is deselected (inert) or selected or
    active &lt;#active&gt; (which means selected, and also editable at the
    vertex level).

      WholeObjectMode

    the mode for making inter-object graphical changes

    Blender has exactly two modes for making changes graphically.
    WholeObjectMode allows inter-object changes (moving, scaling,
    rotating, deleting, and other operations on selected &lt;#selected&gt;
    objects). By contrast, EditMode &lt;#EditMode&gt; allows intra-object
    changes (operations on selected vertices in the active &lt;#active&gt;
    object).

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">

    </pre>
    <hr width="90%" size="4"><br>
    <a name="active">
    </a>
    <h3><a name="active">active</a></h3>
 href="#EditMode">EditMode</a> or is immediately switchable (usually by
TAB) to EditMode
Typically, the most recently <a href="#selected">selected</a> object
is active. </p>
    <a name="EditMode">
    </a>
    <h3><a name="EditMode">EditMode</a></h3>
changes within an object
      </a>
changes graphically. EditMode allows changes within an object (moving,
scaling, rotating,
vertices in the <a href="#active">active</a> object).
By contrast,
objects (operations on selected objects).
    <a name="ObjectMode">
    </a>
    <h3><a name="ObjectMode">ObjectMode</a></h3>
changes to entire objects
      </a>
changes graphically. ObjectMode allows changes to entire objects
(moving, scaling, rotating,
objects).
By contrast,
(operations on selected vertices in the <a href="#active">active</a>
object).
    <a name="selected">
    </a>
    <h3><a name="selected">selected</a></h3>
or <a href="#active">active</a> (which means selected, and also