[Bf-docboard] Linux Distribution

Nathan Vegdahl bf-docboard@blender.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 07:51:11 -0800 (PST)

   First of all, I do not know of any Linux
distributions that make setting up 3D exceleration
completely painless.  I would reccommend installing
the Linux distribution you already have, and searching
the net for information about configuring Linux to
take advantage of a GeForce2's 3D exceleration.
   (If you don't care about 3D excelleration, you can
just use the standard SVGA X-Server, because that
should work with pretty much any video card that
supports SVGA graphics... which means any modern video
card.)

   But if you don't want to do that, read on:

   The distribution you choose depends largely on two
things:
   1) What you intend to use it for.
   2) How experienced you are with installing and
configuring Unix-based OS's.

   And in your case there is a third issue: whether it
supports GeForce2's out-of-the-box.

   A good choice (though I have no idea if it supports
GF2's out-of-the-box), would be RedHat Linux, because
it is pretty widely used and it is relatively easy to
install and set-up.

   Also, because Linux is GPL'd you can download any
version of it for free (though not all of the programs
written for it).  You should be able download RedHat
from their website.
   (Of course, another thing to consider is that if
you buy RedHat you will also get the RedHat
documentation, which can be very helpful if you don't
already know how to use Linux.)

   Hope this helps. :)

   (BTW: it would be nice if, in the future, you would
restrict your posts to this list to things related to
the Blender Documentation Project.  Don't worry too
much about it this once: just keep it in mind for next
time.)

--Nathan Vegdahl