[Bf-docboard] 3D Concepts & Fundamentals Rough Outline

Bart Veldhuizen bf-docboard@blender.org
08 Jan 2003 08:04:24 +0100

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 01:43, Jason Oppel wrote:

> > May I make a suggestion? Some of the material here, while certainly
> > applicable to the topic of 3D concepts, might not be applicable
> > to Blender in particular, which is of course the purpose of this
> > doc project.
>
> What we should include brings up another question. Is teaching our readers how use Blender the only thing we're trying to teach them or should we attempt to go deeper than that?  The purpose behind me trying to cover so many topics was that I would really love to see our book produce well rounded artists and not just Blender users.  Perhaps we won't have space for these ambitions but I sure hope so!  What exactly are our amibitons anyhow? :-)
>
> I'm considering trying to write a sample section to see how things go and see just how much I can condense things while still getting key points across.

I personally wouldn't object if it grew into something more than 'only'
a Blender manual. However, if we want to succeed I think we shouldn't
'take too much hay on our fork' (a wonderful Dutch proverb!). With this
I mean if we expand our scope too much at the very beginning, there's a
good chance that the manual will never reach a point at which it is
really usable.

I think that we should try and produce a good Blender manual first, and
then see if and how we can make it interesting for other target
audiences, too.

Bart

--
Bart Veldhuizen <bart@vrotvrot.com>