[Bf-docboard] Some edits

Felix Rabe bf-docboard@blender.org
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 21:11:14 +0100

Matt Ebb wrote:
> If I save a few more copies (with earlier EPS
> versions and different Postscript levels), would you be able to test
> them on sketch and sodipodi?

Not me, somebody else - I have work to do (again :/ ), so I'm lacking
the time for it.  (I have to set up that policy again: "Felix, don't
post any email until next week!" - otherwise, I won't get done what I
have to :-( .)

> Also, out of curiosity, how do you think the 'not-allowed-to-sell' xfig
> license might affect us? I doubt the docboard would want to be
> distributing xfig itself?

It is not because we cannot distribute xfig separately for money, but
because our documentation has similar licensing (the OCL), to which I'm
somewhat opposed to, and which might also create trouble should we want
to sell a book version.  (People might contribute and believe that sale
was forbidden according to the OCL.  It does not persuade me that the
OCL should actually not say so.)  So, since the xfig team changed to a
similar kind of licensing, I'm just curious why they would do that.
They changed it just as far as it is still distributable with Debian,
but it might not be Free Software anymore.

I'm currently also thinking about proposing a certain combination of
Creative Commons licensing for what we do here, but I would probably
need to read some of their legalese (of two or three licenses) to see
whether they fit exactly.  At least they are terribly easy to apply (and
surely a go in the correct direction) and I doubt I will find any
irregularities between the easy-to-read version of one of their licenses
and the legalese version - see http://creativecommons.org/ for more
infos.  I just tried it out for http://mysite.iptic.com/xitnalta/ myself
after midnight :).

Puh - my emails could be shorter (^;