[Bf-docboard] License decision

Ramanan Selvaratnam bf-docboard@blender.org
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:48:05 +0000

Ok, I have read throught the archives to understand what I might have missed.
-- there was not much!

I understand that there are old timers who had discussed in detail most of
the issues raised so far in detail and there has already been considerable
exposure to the OCL.

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 13:49, Ton wrote:

> This is what we'll do.
>
> We'll adopt 2 licenses for now, being:
>
> OCL: by default, for all content including texts, gfx, etc
> BAL: in exceptional cases, when an author insists on that

> [....] Both licenses are 'copylefted'.
> OpenContent was designed to be compatible with the philosophy at gnu.org
> and opensource.org. I will establish communication with OpenContent.org
> to verify it.
Please let us know of the outcome.
talk to the FSF as the copyleft was originally  their concept.

> available for sale, and allow the DocBoard to use the text and images
> (not the design) for integration in the open manual project.
Sad :-( that a free product has no free manual.
But glad that we can move forward with good intentions towards a *more* free
knowledge sharing future.

Again it might be good to consult the FSF to understand the GFDL better.

> This might sound like a weak work-around, but I can't make a motivated
> decision for FDL now. If it can't be changed in the future, bad luck!
In the case that GFDL is determined to be the suitable licence and it becomes
impossible to change then it will indeed be bad for a free future.

Progressing on, I do not think I can be of help with the file formats too but
willing to brush up on DocBook skills and help out if the need be.

My skills include good understanding of many programming/scripting  languages
to specific 3D software on the biotech field.
As I introduced myself , I never tested out Blender to the full.
May be I could volunteer to try and use it as a beginner would and give
feedback as sections would be written into Ton's proposal?
Any brighter ideas??
-- will be free from second week of December to be actively involved in the
BDP.

All the best

Ram