[Bf-docboard] Feedback?

Felix Rabe xitnalta@web.de
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:44:01 +0100

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:21:25 +0100
"Bart Veldhuizen" <bart@vrotvrot.com> wrote:

> Can you tell us a bit more about Texinfo and how it compares to
> DocBook/XML? DocBook also seems to cover these points.

It is an older format usually used for creating Info-browsable documents
('info' is a document browser), and as far as I know an approach by the
FSF to replace manual pages.

I've tried it out a bit for Gnuzz (see
http://nongnu.org/projects/atlazz/ ), but forgot most about it.  (I've
worked on this project at the beginning of this year.)

You'll find out more on http://www.gnu.org/manual/texinfo/ - in fact,
all (or most?) documentation available on http://www.gnu.org/manual/
uses Texinfo as its source format.

----

My proposal regarding Texinfo:

Have good converters to/from DocBook XML available.  We should probably
stick to DocBook XML as our core format, since it's easier to deal with
XML markup (and there are more tools available) than with other, less
common markup formats.

But Texinfo should be supported, especially since Emacs (at least the
GNU version - I don't know much about XEmacs) has a cool editing mode
for Texinfo ;) and it is also like a gesture of friendship towards the
FSF.

I'm actually open to opinions regarding using something else than
DocBook XML as the core documentation format.

----

Back2work

Felix