[Bf-docboard] Welcome!

Bart Veldhuizen bart@vrotvrot.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:40:20 +0100

Hi Felix,

> > 3) Choose a fileformat. DocBook/XML seems to be a good
> fileformat as
> > it's text-based (--> nice for CVS), separates content from
> layout (-->
> > nice for publication), has tools available for conversion
> into formats
> > like HTML and PDF and is well documented. The drawback is that it's
> > quite technical, and this might scare people away. We have proposed
> > that people can deliver additions in other formats as well,
> and they
> > will get translated to DocBook by a BDP volunteer.
>
> I hope this won't be forever - I think this should be done
> through automatic tools after a while.  Of course this only
> works if people stick to the subset of their format that
> we'll define to be valid for this...

If you can get it to work, be our guest :) My only fear for this is that
it could easily screw up the CVS diff mechanism. Editing by hand is more
tedious of course, but at least you get a clear view of changes between
each version. These changes are very important to, for example,
translators.

> > What I would like to do until Stefan gets back is to work on the
> > proposed Table of Contents and try to get that published at
> the end of
> > this week. If you would like to experiment a bit by placing some
> > sensible content into the framework, please go ahead and
> see how you
> > like working with DocBook. Af the and of the week we can
> then post a
> > call for participation and find volunteers to help us.
>
> I think this should rather be regarded as "experimental" at
> this point. This experimental work can possibly be done in
> parallel with the work on the metadocuments that define (as I
> understood it) in what way and under what conditions people
> can participate.

Sure. And copying and pasting the content into another document
structure later should be straightforward enough.

I'm all for doing things in parallel as this would start generating some
visible results for Blender users.

Bart