[Bf-docboard] Welcome!

Bart Veldhuizen bart@vrotvrot.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:34:19 +0100

Hi Roel,

> I'm not into licenses and stuff, so I can only comment on
> this if I see stefan's license. I'll probably ask icky
> license-newbie questions then, but maybe Ii'll even have a
> good point (though the chances of that are very VERY slim :)

Heh! Same here.. I'm still not sure that some publisher could grab the
documentation, publish it and make big bucks from it. Under GPL they
would have to give back any edited text to the project (and I would
expect them to hire an editor so that could increase the quality of the
documentation for us, too). Under a BSD license there would be no such
restriction afaik.

> Looks ok to me. one small thing:
> maybe it's a good idea to have "General blender info" as a
> group too. maybe it's better if the website boys do this, but
> maybe it would be nice to have some general document that
> explains what blender is, what you can do with it etc. though
> I guess it's possible to think of that as User Documentation.

I think you're right. It probably deserves a chapter of its own in the
User Docs, and can be copied straight away onto the website. I'll add
that one to my TOC.

> you mean publish the table of contents from your manual test
> on .org? 2
> things:
>
> 1) publishing it is a good way to make sure we don;t leave
> anything out, but...
> 2) publishing it this early will probably unleash a
> whoooooooole lot of people at us that go: "how's the manual
> coming? is it done yet?" (and we CJ-people all know that's ok
> for a week or so, but after a few months it starts to get a
> bit annoying :)

Right. On the other hand, it could also inspire interested authors to
start writing. The introduction in the manual could be clear on the
progress of the project and also state that questions about progress
will be ignored ;-)

Bart