[Bf-docboard] Feedback?

Bassam Kurdali kurdali@attbi.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:05:13 -0500

> haven't seen any feedback on it yet. Does that mean it's crap, or that
> you've just been busy? :)
I'm sorry. I had been finishing up some coding for work on a tight deadline, and wanted to read up a little on the docbook DTD before commenting. As for (1)licensing, I assume you mean licensing for the documentation and not for the source, since I was under the impression (in full agreement) that a dual GPL and proprietery licence was the way to go, to enable the foundation to open source the program and to obtain revenue from companies wishing to use some of the blender source. I'm not sure what the issues are for licensing on the documentation perspective, esp. in regards to convincing publishers to publish something that has an open source license, not a normal copyright.
I was thinking the foundation could pursue a dual license approach for the documentation as well, Perhaps with the FDL ( GNU free documentation license) as the open source one. I have no problem with BSD style or Artistic licenses either, and since documentation is effectively source anyhow, I think the differences are minimal in practice.
As for (2)Product definition: No problems here, and I'll await Stefan's presentation on that topic.
(3) Fileformat: I treated this as a fait accomplis when I saw it, and I'm reading up on docbook for the purposes of learning. If I have any comments I'll post them as they arise.
(4) I just downloaded the manual proposal. Give me a day or two to comment / add to it.
cheers
Bassam Kurdali