[Bf-docboard] less graphics

Alex Heizer bf-docboard@blender.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:06:43 -0600

G@l Buki wrote:

> Great!
> One big graphic, why not.
> But don't scale it down rather cut it to the disered size.
>
> I think dpi are just relevant if you print something. On the computer
> the only thing that matters are the pixels.
> Or did I missunderstand something?

These are the kinds of things that need to be determined about the
graphics, which is kind of what I was talking about in a previous post
about standards. For print, the best graphic would need to be a 300dpi
CMYK EPS, while on the Web it is a 72dpi RGB bitmap, like a JPG, PNG or
GIF. On the computer screen, it really does only matter the exact number
of pixels, but if you plan to have this really published at some point
to paper, you'll need a 300dpi EPS. The best time to determine the size
and format of the graphics for the whole documentation project is before
all of the screenshots get made, so nobody has to go and redo them when
the thing goes to press.

Matt Ebb and I volunteer to work on this, if that's what everyone wants.
I just know from working with both print and Web that you need to take
different things into account for each as far as graphics are concerned.
What I propose, would be something along the lines of this:

1. A set of graphics standards would be set up. This would include
conventions for size and content, i.e.: 300x200 pixel JPG at 50%
compression for the Web-based and other online documentation; 300x200
pixel JPG at 90% compression for a high-res PDF; and  2"x1.5" 300dpi
CMYK EPS for the print version. The image would contain only the 3D pane
for examples, or the button pane for settings.
2. Any screenshots would be done as large as possible, and any
renderings would be done to take into account finished output size, for
example, 1200x1200 for an image that would go on the printed page at a
finished size of 4"x4".
3. Someone (an individual or team of individuals) would collect the
images, process them according to the standards, and output them in two
or three versions with identical content, one for Web, one for print,
and one for a high-res PDF. These images would then be returned to the
source tree for inclusion in their respective products.
4. Someone (an individual or team of individuals) would come up with a
cool, professional design that would showcase blender as a great program
that talented people do and should use and be a part of. Since print
design is different than Web design, that someone could create a couple
of slightly different, but complementary designs that make blender look
cool and professional whichever version you're looking at.
5. The someone's in points 3 and 4 would coordinate the design and
content to make sure it all looks consistent. This could also free up
authors to not worry about style and focus on content, since the
designers could ensure everything's formatted correctly and maintain one
copy.

 From what I understand, we can do a nice design once for the docbook,
which can then be output in different formats, like for a Website or a
plaintext version or for print. In which case, we should be able to set
up output templates so that when the online version is output it uses
the lo-res bitmaps, and when the printed version is output it will use
the high-res EPSes.

What do people think? The details would be worked out if that's what
everyone wants. I just gave some examples that illustrated what I was
talking about, so I'm not concerned at this point that the printed image
be 4"x4", or whatever. I can get with Matt and anyone else who is
interested and work out a draft and bring it back to the group. Does
anyone think this is a great idea? A waste of time? Does anyone else
want to work on it, maybe someone really familiar with xml or docbooks?

Alex